Hour of the Blood Moon
Last month, a dramatic celestial event. The earth eclipsed the full moon. Eaten up from the bottom by the Earth's shadow, the moon is about to be obliterated. I'm holding my breath. Then just in the moment that it should disappear completely, the moon becomes a glowing, salmon-red orb. We enter a suspended, timeless space. T he moon hangs there silently for one earthly hour, strange tinted rock in the sky, m e outside in the black with it. It is like a portal has been opened. I can't look away. The night is very dark and rather cold, but clear. I can hear the wind, a heat pump that periodically turns itself off and on again, and the occasional outbreak of barking from boisterous sea lions who don't recognise how loud they are or care to keep sensible hours. It’s comforting actually; the last time I was here, there was a cougar on the prowl, and everyone had to carry a stick when walking around the neighbourhood. Sea lions are the safer kind of neighbourhood lion. This...

Comments
Post a Comment